Module 1: Benefits of OER for Faculty
Imagine being able to edit, modify, update, and improve your course materials so the learning outcomes are met and the course material’s content is “exactly the way you want it.” OER allows for this!
Faculty using OER enjoy great freedom in selecting course materials that they customize to fit the specific needs of their students and the goals of their classes. Since most OER permit adaptation, educators are free to edit, reorder, delete from, or remix OER materials. OER provide clearly defined rights to users, so educators are not faced with interpreting Fair Use and TEACH Act guidelines.
Other key benefits include:
Use, Improve, and Share
- Save time and energy by adapting or revising resources that have already been created
- Tailor resources to fit specific context within your courses and research
- Expand interdisciplinary teaching by integrating resources from multiple disciplines
Network and Collaborate with Peers (professional development considerations)
- Access educational resources that have been peer-reviewed by other experts in your field
- Explore reviews and annotations that provide more in-depth knowledge of the resource
- Collaborate on creating new resources that can be used within or across disciplines
Lower Costs and Improve Access to Information
- Reduce the cost of course materials
- Enable all students to have equal access to course materials
- Provide students with the opportunity to explore course content fully before enrolling