OER Project Ideas

by Megan Simmons 2 years ago

Please describe your OER Project idea by replying below.

What is your project goal?

What do you hope to create during this Academy?

Project idea examples include: redesign a course using OER, create ancillary materials to complement an existing OER, and author a primary course resource.

Michelle Smith 2 years ago

My project goal is to redesign my Lifespan Growth and Development course using OER.  I am presently using an OER text that is sufficient, but not ideal for my students.  The present text is relatively static and I find my students who are in general operating from a disadvantage struggle with the breadth or content and its relevance to their lives.  I would like to author the primary course resourse and I am looking for collaborators.  Anyone else interested in psychology?

I LOVE the idea of an OER Librarian but at our small east Texas college I am not sure that is an attainable ask.

Shih-Ting Lee 2 years ago

Hello Everyone,

How are you? This is Shih-Ting from the Austin Community College. For this program, I plan to curate/develop supplemental instructional materials for our interdisciplinary Global Studies EDUC courses. A few years ago a group of our faculty already developed the OER textbook for this course, but we can definitely benefit from having more supplemental materials with a Global Studies emphasis.

Kristin Calhoun 2 years ago

Hi, Shih-Ting! I'm also with Austin Community College, in the Art department. I've seen your name around and hear you are an excellent Instructional Designer! :)  

Happy to see you focusing on this...I'm really interested in the Global Studies FLC that's coming up in the fall, and I'm planning on applying to it. Will you be a part of that? 

The Global Studies curriculum seems like it would naturally dovetail very well with art, specifically Art Appreciation, which I teach asynchronously and online. I'm interested in developing a Global Studies-focused OER section of Art Appreciation, and look forward to perhaps being able to work with you on this! :)

I'd also be interested in the OER textbook that's already been developed...I'll see if I can find it on here, but if not, would you be willing to share a link? 

Shih-Ting Lee 2 years ago

Hello kristin, It is wonderful that you are doing the Global Studies FLC. I did it a few years ago. You will have plenty of opportunities to flush out your Global curriculum in that program. The OER I use for EDUC can be found on this site. Yes, let's see how we may collaborate on this!

This is a great resource, and it's very well done. I look forward to seeing what opportunities arise for us to collaborate. :)

Ryan Melton 2 years ago

I am currently redesigning homework for two courses, MATH 2412: Precalculus and MATH 1314: College Algebra,  and would like to create OER course notes to accompany them.

During this academy, I hope to begin this process with a few sections of notes.

There are lots of resources available for these courses, so I am not starting from scratch, but I want to tailor the notes to fit our students.

My project goal is to take the existing OER sources I'm using for my existing OER Art Appreciation class and trim out the bits that I feel no longer align with my course goals after taking an in-house seminar on andragogy and best practices. The OER I'm using is fine, but I want to rework it so that it more closely fits what I want it to do (what do I want my students to remember in 5 years?) and to combine it with other forms of OER that are more dynamic and engaging than written text alone. 

So, my project is a redesign of existing OER with some curation thrown in, and I know I will need to build a lot, too. I guess I really am describing 'authoring a primary course resource.' I doubt I'll be able to do the whole course during the Academy (I have planned to do the majority of this over the summer), but I may be able to build a good bit of it. :)

Hi everyone!

My project goal is to explore options for OER assessments for my POLS 2305: Introduction to U.S. Government and Politics course. I have been slowly building up over several semesters in terms of OER content (e.g., free content for readings, videos, and podcasts), but do not have adequate OER assessments yet. I'm not sure what's all available and what I might need to just create myself.

Cheers,

Jennifer

Scarlet Estlack 2 years ago

Hello all!

I am excited for this opportunity to learn and grow in OER.

My project goal is to publish a second lab exercise for Botany Lab. I have previously published one on angiosperm seed anatomy you can check out if you care to: Angiosperm Seed Anatomy Lab | OERTX (texas.gov) 

I found where someone published a botany lab manual in OERTX in February and shared that to our group. I looked at it, but was disappointed in that there was not much material there and almost no visuals (like photos and/or diagrams). I'm hoping to make a second lab resouce for botany that others can use because the lab manuals are expensive & all professional botanists are my age or older. We're simply aging out. We need to share our expertise before we retire. I hope that universities will once again graduate botany majors in the future. 

Anyway, cheers to us all for trying to make things better. :)

Hello all,

My project goal is to redesign my Leadership course using OERs. I currently, used an ebook for the course. The information in the book is ok but I would like my course to be more project based and use resources that are more current. At this time I would like to find materials that are available for sharing. After, I do a release of the course I would like to get feedback from my students then I would like to make updates and do a collaboration with someone teaching in my discipline of management.

I am looking forward to this training and working with the group.

Jude Okpala 2 years ago

My project requires a redesign of a course to base the readings on OER with the goal of making the course/readings accessible and inclusive.   One condition for redesigning the course is identification of CC texts that would be the foundation of the readings in the course.

The course is Introduction to Humanities; I have not seen  yet  an OER on it; my goal is to mix and match and generate a text for the course.  So, I am here to gain the skill.  I have developed courses with OER in, but not based on mixing and matching CC texts.

If you have idea on where I should look for such texts, let me know.  I will build readings covering the ancient world to the medieval era (Age of Faith -- Islamic contribution to the notion of the West).

Hello, My name is Alexander Speetzen and I am a Faculty Librarian at Austin Community College (ACC). I am a subject librarian for Engineering, Mathematics, and Computer Science at ACC.

What is your project goal?/What do you hope to create during this Academy? My goal for this Advanced Skills Academy is to compile a list of potential OER resources that I can pass along to instructors in my subject areas. I want to become more familar with the various OER repositories so I can curate multiple resource options for ACC classroom faculty and help them navigate the OER evaluation/adoption process.

Patricia Weisz 2 years ago

Hello everyone! I am planning on redesigning an INRW 0301 course using OER. This is a course for college preperatory reading and writing. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of OER material specifically for this course (that I can find), but by the nature of what the course is I am thinking I can find a good deal of extra materials to add to my course. I specifically want to find reading materials that reflect the diversity of our students. 

Drew Edwards 2 years ago

I'm currently a librarian at St. Philip's College in San Antonio, and I want to create a guideline or collection of best practices that can help inform smaller libraries on how best to support their institution's OER efforts. It's a little broad in my head right now on what to include and how to tackle this, but I'm hoping to refine this as I dive deeper into the research and resources that are already available.

I am also lucky enough to have a colleague (Brendan Carrell) assisting me in this endeavor.

Kelly Vinson 2 years ago

Hi All! 

I'm an assistant professor of sociology at Del Mar College, a community college in Corpus Christi. 

What is your project goal? My goal is to reduce, if not elimate, the money students have to spend on textbooks for my class. Therefore, I aim to develop a SOCI 1306: Social Problems course that utilizes OER readings/texts. I am also open to utilizing other OER resources in my class, but I want to focus on ways to reduce how much money students have to spend for course materials. 

I hope to find enough materials to create a class in which all reading material is OER.

I would also be interested in creating OER content, but my primary focus is to restructure my course. 

Clark Pomerleau 2 years ago

Hello all. I'm Clark Pomerleau from the History Department at UNT. My project goal is to make accessible primary sources as resources for courses a small collection of letters that represent part of the history of Southern childhood/girlhood and concerns about racism during the period of 1911-1921.

I produced a contextual introduction and edited a series of letters that give detailed descriptions of childhood life in Nashville, Tennessee during the 1910s. The results bridge history of childhood, Southern history, and Progressive Era studies in a way that is understudied. In these letters readers find fun details about white, middle-class children’s rural and urban play, children’s books, residential architecture, clothes, and food. Daily life in the letters grapple with racial violence and includes glimpses of medical history, how World War I propaganda fueled hatred and disease, and other episodes of dangers and griefs common to the era.

Sedrick Sexton 2 years ago

I am working on a Universal Design for Learning (UDL) faculty development course and would like to locate UDL OER resources that I can turn into activities. 

Olin Bjork 2 years ago

Hello, group!  I am in my first year as coordinator of the Bachelor of Science in Technical Communication program at the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD).  The default textbook in our introductory Business and Technical Writing course, which several hundred students take each semester, costs about $150 for a new copy, a price that is leading some students to go without it or use an outdated edition.  Another issue with the textbook is that it does not have as much material related to social justice as our program faculty would like to see.  In the long term, we plan to find/write/assemble an OER textbook as a replacement or recommended alternative.  In the short term, we plan to find/write/assemble an OER primer on social justice and technical communication that could supplement a print or OER textbook.

George Swindell 2 years ago

Good Afternoon,

My name is George Swindell, I am an instructor at TAMUC currently teaching in our Competency-Based Education programs.  I primarily teach MATH and PSY courses. My larger project goal is to author/edit sources for my CBE MATH course.  For this, I am hoping to start with creating mini-lesson videos to compliment the OER sources I am currently utilizing.

Mary Fagan 2 years ago

My project goal is to revise and add to materials for a junior level Critical and Analytical Thinking in Business course that is required for all business majors. I want to create an OER book that students and faculty in other courses can use so that students can refer back to and build their skills after they finish the course.

During the academy I hope to learn more about best practices to help me develop an effective OER resource and to help move me along in the revision creation process.

Mary Helen Fagan - UT Tyler

My project goal is to aid in creating an Introduction to Culinary Arts OER.

During this academy I hope to create a knife skills activity for an Introduction to Culinary Arts open ebook.

Project idea: to author ancillary material to be used by others in their primary course resources.

Susan de Ghize 2 years ago

Hi!

I am an Associate Professor of Music Theory at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi. My project goal is to create a first-year music theory textbook/OER. I have already started working on and will not be done for another year, but I would like to learn some pointers during this Academy. Looking forward to it!

Terri Bubb 2 years ago

Hi All,

My name is Terri Bubb and I am an instructional designer at San Jacinto College. I am creating some activities to go with EDUC 1100.

Rosemond Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Hello my name is Rosemond "Roz" Moore.  I am an Assistant Professor of Business Administratation at South Texas College.  

My project is to develop an OER based Business Statistics (BUSI.2305) course.  Now that I have returned to the classroom I have found that even in the face-to-face environment that students have adjusted to and like the rhythm of completing assignments online and receiving immediate feedback on their work.

Creating an OER version of this course has been a challenge because while I can collaborate with Math departments on statistics, the examples, scenarios, etc. need to be based on real world business examples.  My challenge has been in both the online and face-to-face environments, is finding content that is good quality, relevant, and current to what is happening in business today.

Wendi J. W. Williams, PhD 1 year, 11 months ago

Hello, everyone.

I am a faculty member with South Texas College, a large HSI located in the lower Rio Grande Valley along the US-Mexico border region and less than an hour drive to the Gulf of Mexico.  Located close to the National Butterfly Center if you  have heard any reports on NPR.

I am focusing upon an introductory core lab science physical geology resource to be used as a "lab" experience.  This can be implemented across modality such as fully face2face, hybrid or synchronous/asynchronous online use along with an institution's course management system tools or third party educational technology.  This focus will be with respect to "geospatial" meaning knowing in the context of space (3 dimensional) and geological time (4th dimension).  And always through the lens of Universal Design.

Rosemond Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

What I hope to create for this OER Academy is content for Business Statistics that is more visual, provides content and course design that is succinct, and provides a more visual guide to what needs to be completed for a particular course.

As we have gravitated to online learning, there has been this need (push) toward the use of more textual explanations to ensure quality of the experience for the student.  I really believe we can have the same level of quality with less text and more visual elements that provide the same rich content and possibly better results.