OER Design Considerations

by Megan Simmons 1 year, 10 months ago

What specific design considerations and criteria will you be utilizing to guide the creation of your OER?

For example, in today's session we explored CAST’s SLIDE framework and OpenStax’s DEI guidelines

Jude Okpala 1 year, 10 months ago

I will use a combinnation of DEI guidelines and SLIDE framework, but since I am working with our Academic Innovation personnel, I will defer to his design techniques that incorporate Quality Matters rubric.  There is a high regard for accessibility; so, accessibility will be a factor as well.  Above all, the foundation is Pressbook, which my campus uses.

Xyanthine Parillon 1 year, 10 months ago

We will be incorporating accessible content and use the accessibility checker in this platform to determine how our content alignes with the checker system.

Roopa Vinay 1 year, 10 months ago

Our cohort is using both the OpenStax and SLIDE frameworks to evaluate content. Our authoring tool is Pressbooks, which doesn't seem to have an inbuilt accessibility checker. So we are using MS Word to check for accessibility. 

Danica Schieber 1 year, 10 months ago

We will use the accessibility checker posted here and will also go through the DEI guidelines. 

Elizabeth Goode 1 year, 10 months ago

Our design will be based on SLIDE framework which is tightly aligned with Quality Matters framework princples 8.3, 8.4, and 8.5. Overall, we are a Quality Matters Institution so we follow those principles at a larger scale and as we have mentioned they align perfectly with SLIDE framework. Because we are creating videos we will also follow cognitive affective theory of multimedia learning (CATML) for example, having animation and narration we will also have closed captions/text. 

Dana Brewer 1 year, 10 months ago

We are focusing on the SLIDE framework and UDL principles overall. We are still determining the authoring tool that will be using; so, some elements of design are still being determined. We do need to continue editing to add captions, visual and usability elements, and transcripts (CC is already available). 

Steve Bonario, MILS 1 year, 10 months ago

DEI Considerations in this module.

This module was designed for use by UHD Social Work students. The UHD student body is one of the most diverse in the nation and the Social Work program pays special attention to issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice as part of the professional practice of social work (it is part of the nature of social work). As such, the example used in the case study of the module is representative of a diverse community. Furthermore, the term "Older Adult" is used instead of "Elderly" as a deliberate step away from stereotypes associated with the latter term.

The web site students are guided to use (BenefitsCheckup.org) includes resources for diverse communities and its use of images and language represents diverse individuals.

Accessibility Considerations in this module.

This module was assembled and published using the OpenAuthor tool at the OERTX web site. We are relying on this tool to provide an acceptable level of accessibility.

A video without captioning was created, but we are providing a transcript of the video.

Other Design Considerations

This module is one of several that comprise a course on Community Navigation with Older Adults. Although the entire course is not included in this module, the syllabus is included to provide context for the module within the full course.

Dorrie Scott 1 year, 10 months ago

In the long term, the Lone Star College cohort will utilize both the SLIDE framework and the DEI guidelines, but short-term we'll start with SLIDE since it's more about the setup and accessability. Then when reviewing content, we'll implement the DEI guidelines. Additionally, we would like to create a few interactive elements to engage learners.

While our target audience is faculty, they are our "students" in terms of audience, and will be learning about OER just like any other student learning about a new topic. The information needs to be clear, consice, and engaging. 

David Han 1 year, 10 months ago

I am planning to use a combinnation of DEI guidelines and SLIDE framework along with the Quality Matters rubrics. To make the material accessible online and sharable more easily, I am planning to use the Pressbooks provided by the institutional library.

Tamar Bell 1 year, 9 months ago

We will be utilizing the SLIDE framwork as part of our design consideration. It was very valuable to learn that Open Author has an accesibility checker for us to utilize in the developmental process and advancing our OER project. 

Tanya Gonzales 1 year, 9 months ago

My project will be created with the SLIDE framework to align with Universal Design Learning accessibility standards. Too, I will run an accessibily checker in Google and the Canvas LMS.