Next Steps - Webinar Three

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "Reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt: Please share the following after today's webinar:

1. What is your own "big dream" about OER?

2. What are you most excited about from this series?

3. What do you want to do in the next 6 months and who might you engage with?

Jorge Mendoza 1 year ago
  1. I would like to one day contribute to OER. I have created many documents from my K-12 teaching career, and I would like to contribute in hopes of it being beneficial to teachers, especially new teachers.

2. I'm excited about learning and practicing everything we've been reviewing in our webinars.

3. I would like to see what I could potentially contribute to OER and the necessary steps I need to take. I've met with someone from OpenStax, and a potential future meeting can be arranged.

1. My "Big Dream" is to edit my 1,000+ page OER US history textbook. It's a meglasaur.  

2. I was most excited to learn about collecting and evaluating resources.

3. I would love to get history colleages to co-author pieces for my textbook.

1. Becoming OER Certified at my college and developing my own OER course.

2. Connecting with James who is the interim for OER at HCC.

3. Compile interactive resources that will engage my students.

To teach an OER class online you only have to pass one course. But to be a certified OER instructor, it used to be a longer series of classes. That has/had been under review. Right now successful completion of the former receives a $300 stipend and completion of the latter used to garner a $1800 stipend. At least I think it was $1800. That was a while ago, so the stipend, as well as the process, might have been changed. I will have to ask Nathan Smith.    

Kim Jeffrey 1 year ago

I believe I will be happy to get the remix accomplished sucessfuly.  I think it would be great to have some time to create an OER, but over the next 6 months I hope to be working with others at my institution to share what I have learned about OER's.  

1. My "big dream" is to coordinate a series of subject-matter teams across my CC district to author an OER textbook series together, and create a peer-review mechanism for the back end of the process.

2. I haven't made it to every session live because of scheduling conflicts, but so far, the connections with colleagues have been great. I just like "listening in" on what everybody else is doing, whether it's live or after the fact.

3. This summer, I'm teaching a professional development course aimed at helping faculty at my college publish their own textbook. It feels like step 1 toward my "big dream." :)

1. Research to see if their is enough material in the agricultural based subjects to make it a reality at Clarendon College.

2. Potentially saving students money.

3. Engade with larger universities to see if their agricultural departments are willing to produce material that is open to the public.

1. My dream is to adopt and adapt more OER's in my course and also create OER's. The subject matter will either be in instructional design, technology, or a combination of both.

2. This was the first time that I have participated in a webinar or a series of webinars in this case that had interaction from within your own institution and also those from other institutions. 

3. Get a chance to work with faculty to assist them in at least adopting OER in their course(s) and begin researching topics for creating my own OER.

Qingwen Hu 1 year ago

1. My big dream is that all courses have high quality OER available and accessible for students.

2. I am excited to learn from colleagues about their experiences of using and creating OERs.

3. I am planning to explore and create materials for all courses I teach. Will engage with someone who may peer review the materials I created, making sure they can be used by students.

I think your Big Dream is the Big Dream of many administrators. Certainly the Big Dream of many board members. The problem, as I see it, is strong pushback from some faculty. Some of that pushback is valid, such as in those studies that have end-of-course licensing tests. Cosmetology maybe? But, others are of the mindset that "free" equals poor quality. Those are the ones that need to be dragged into the 21st century.  

Qingwen Hu 1 year ago

It is true that there may be some pushback, especially when some extra work is needed. A few years ago, we adpoted an online platform for Differential Equations which accepts direct input of questions in LaTeX code. However the outcome wasn't satisfactory for many reasons: 1) Not every instructor was skillful of using LaTeX. 2) The on-the-go created  homework assignments lacked carefull peer-review in advance and were easy to have typos, mistakes causing issues when students were using it. 3) The created questions were not easy to carry over to other places for reuse which made the effort of faculty wasted somehow.

1. My big dream would be to work alongside more instructors at our campus to help them be implementers as well as contributors to the world of OER I. would also like to be a contributor of OER. Maybe if I led by example, others would follow.

2. I am excited to use the OERTX website more. The amount of resources has grown and I like the idea of using the remix feature. 

3. We are having an OER kick-off in May, so I am ready to assist those instructors who want to start exploring and/or using OER. 

1. My big dream about OER is to design, develop, and maintain my own OER resource. I would like to be able to keep the content current and provide a resource which engages the students in multiple platforms and gets them excited about learning about the people and places of the world. I would also want them to learn they have an impact on the globe, no matter what they decide to do with their lives.
  2. Gaining the confidence to develop my own resources as well as how to evaluate other resources and implement them in my classes.
  3. Beginning the process of developing my own resources for others to use.  I wish to engage with resources outside the field of education to bring them into the conversation of how I can collborate with them to divesify my content of my own resources with real-world applications.

1. My big dream about OER is to supply enough information for my humanities courses, so the students can learn, gain knowledge, and not have to spend money on any textbooks. This would help out many underserved students gain the education they need to succeed in life and achieve a higher education degree. 

2. I am excited about the countless possibilities available for educators and students to gain a new perspective at a reasonably low cost to no cost for higher education. 

3. In the next 6 months I will be compiling several modules for my humanities courses for students and professors to utilize information from OER resources. Our community college is going towards in three years to go fully OER. 

Chad Clark 1 year ago
  1. Although I have not actually used OER in my role as a librarian, I do support the concept of open resources.  Someday, I think that I could help expand any needs for them in developing parts of the world.
  2. One exciting thing about OER that the series has caused me to notice is the fact that they come in many different “shapes and sizes.”  You can create an entire open textbook, or you can remix something new from existing resources to meet a particular need.
  3. I want to challenge myself to evaluate other OER samples in order to better understand how open resources align with established guidelines.  If I engage with anyone else, then who better than my esteemed colleagues from San Jacinto College 😊?
    I really want to be known as someone that faculty on my campus can come talk to when they want to switch their course materials to OER.

I feel like I have a better handle on how to use the OERTX platform to find resources.

I have applied as a part of a group for the next six-week session through this group focusing on accessibility in OER, and I will be part of a team with two other people on my campus: Sarah Northam (another librarian) and Teresa Bussell.

Prompt: Please share the following after today's webinar:

1. What is your own "big dream" about OER? I am most interested in creating content in OER for student teachers

2. What are you most excited about from this series? I am glad I learned abut evaluating content in OER

3. What do you want to do in the next 6 months and who might you engage with? I have enrolled in the OER Inviation to Accessibility PL series with a team of colleagues.  We just found out we were accepted to participate.

Xiaoying Li 1 year ago

1. Not so such of a big dream, but a reality. Need to set up a couple courses with OER material in a next a couple months. 

2. Learn how to find the OER sources. 

3. See above 1. Not sure who yet. 

Samuel Solis 1 year ago
  1. What is your own "big dream" about OER? I would like to use OERs as much as possible.

2. What are you most excited about from this series? Remixing.

3. What do you want to do in the next 6 months and who might you engage with? I would like to remix a resource and college librarian.  

Mark Farris 1 year ago

My big dream would be to be in a place where OER is the only material I use in a course. I am most excited about remixing, and possibly getting students involved to create OER material. I have engaged with others in the sam district, and have signed up to continue through the PD series, into the accessibility professional development.

Right now, I am in the process of building a master OER course for industry learners. My big dream is to create a business OER course with excellent OER course, without overwhelming the learner.  My dream also includes that the master course gets approved by my college 'higher-ups' and QM certified.  My goal to deploy this OER course is fall 2023.

Molly Caldera 1 year ago

1. My big dream about OER is that I might bring underrepresented subjects in OER an opportunity to be a part of the solution, and to begin creating materials that contribute to the larger body of knowledge. 

2. I am most excited about the rubric, as this will serve as a resource for me that evaluates content

3. I want to become more familiar with my library staff who support OER and work collaboratively with them to introduce assignments that build OER for underrepresented subjects. 

1. My dream is to have more wide-spread adoption of zero-cost materials on campus, eventualy having all lower division classes (core classes for freshmen and sophomores) be zero-cost.

2. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to connect with other like-minded educators from around Texas.

3. I plan on holding more faculty education sessions on OER and how the library can help. 

Susan Puccio 1 year ago

I want to create a workshop about OER using OERTX Repository. So participants will be able to understand search process and identify textbooks.

Nathaly Gal 1 year ago

What is your own "big dream" about OER?

My big dream about OER is ALL disciplines to have a vast amount of resources available. In discussions with other colleagues in this workshop, I have quickly learned that certain disciplines have little to no resources. 

What are you most excited about from this series?

I am most excited about having learned more about the different types of copyright. Now I understand how to read/interpret the different icons. 

What do you want to do in the next 6 months and who might you engage with?

I will be engaging in an OER project at Baylor University. Faculty that applied for the fellowship and were selected will soon be introduced to Learning Experience Designers like me to implement OERs in their courses. 

Kristen Cook 1 year ago

1. My "big dream" is that the educational community will truly understand OER, that it is not a way of battling publishers or a stop gap approach to textbook affordability until the economic aspects of textbooks change.  It is about an open sharing of knowledge and instructional practices in a way that invites others to the table - students and creators.

2. I am most excited about having met an OER librarian in our breakout sessions and the equipping I have gained in evaluating OER.

3. In the next 6 months, I hope that our OER cohort will see an increase in OER adoption and remixing at our institution and that my library staff can learn to curate OER along with me for their subject areas.

1. My 'big dream' for OER is that it becomes so commonplace in academia that we no longer have to go to great lengths justifying why they are worth using. I also hope the faculty who create OER begin to get appropriate credit for their scholarly contributions as they do for empirical research products.

2. I am excited most about the concerted effort within the state of Texas to improve access to quality instructional materials for students. Too often, there seems to be a disconnect between political and educational leaders, but OERTX is a good example of how multiple interests can be addressed and supported.

3. Leading our institutions summer faculty fellowship program on affordable course materials will take up most of my time for the next 3-4 months. I will also be developing better instructional tools to help our local faculty grow in awareness and understanding of how OER can help them be more effective teachers.

1. My big dreanm about OER is that one day, search engines such as, Google, will have a separate category for educators seeking to build classes using OER materials.

2. I am excited about the fomalization of OER research as well as the expansion of OERs in general.

3. Since I will be retiring at the end of August, I plan to spend some time working with current colleagues to build select courses with OER materials.

Pamela Reed 1 year ago
    • I hope to be a person, others can come to for help when looking for OER help.
    • I was excited about meeting and talking to people from other colleges.  
    • I hope to have a better understanding of OER and connect with others from my institution in order to help them with using OER.
Ilse Granizo 1 year ago

1. I would like to have all courses for the communication department fully OER by FA24.

2. I loved seeing how many people were interested in OER and willing to work and engage with the material. I am excited for the future. 

3. I have already completed my search for one course and that is now fully OER come FA23 and in the next 6 months, I would like to complete another course, but finding material.  

1.  my "big dream" is to convince faculty of the benefits of OER.  We still have a lot of push back from some faculty.

2. I am most excited about being able to explain OER and share with others.

3. I want to be able to share this information with faculty and engage a few English instructors on going forth with an OER project.

1. My "big dream" for OER has many layers. I would like to contribute to OER in regard to creating and remixing. I have written several books in the traditional sense. Thus, I love the opportunity to learn and create a new way. The idea of evaluating is also interesting to me. Therefore, I will also do that. Finally, the ability to share the new knowledge with others would be ideal. I am forever a teacher; so, I would love to teach it.

2. The most exciting part of the series to me is learning how to explore new resources, and how to remix. I am a show and tell person. Therefore, I enjoyed the instructional piece and the demonstrations. Excellent!

3. In the next 6 months, I am interested in creating an OER group for INRW for my college as well as create and remixing some new resources. I would also like to share some of the information with my department. So, I am going to reach out to the college team that is taking this series with me for their help and support as well as my department head and dean.

Yue Ma 1 year ago

1. What is your own "big dream" about OER? - My biggest dream about OER is to have access to high-quality, comprehensive materials across various disciplines. 

2.  What are you most excited about from this series? I feel more confident about all the different copyright materials.

3. What do you want to do in the next 6 months and who might you engage with? - I work at Baylor University and this summer we are going to work with faculty who are interested in creating OER materials for next Fall or Spring, as a learning experience designer, I will be working closely with 2 faculty members and I am excited to collaborating with faculty to create OER materials. Additionally, I plan to collaborate with other learning designers, and librarians within the university to exchange knowledge, share best practices, and overcome challenges in OER development and implementation. 

I want to create an OER program here at UTD.  I want to develop the foundation and start something that would be such a great addition and strength to student success and faculty collaboration.  

This series has helped with my continuing education and understanding of the processes of OER creation, evaulation, and implementation.  It has also been great to meet people even in my own institution as I continue to network with valuable colleagues and friends all around the OER community.

I want to use the Summer months to establish a baseline - send out a survey to faculty to determine their level of OER understanding and question them about their hesitation (if any) to employ an OER for use in their Fall instruction.  I am actually meeting with other UT system OER advocates and librarians in Austin next week!  Cannot wait!

- Sasha, UTD

1. My big dream is to find Math OERs with comparable quality to the ones offered by the vendors I currently work with, so I can migrate to these platforms and make my classes more equitable.

2. I'm excited to see many other colleagues supporting this pioneering endeavor, whose greatest commitment is their students' success.

3. In the next 6 months I'd like to keep working on this endeavor and explore and evaluate the Math resources I've gathered from this course and other conferences and events.  

Mary Sides 1 year ago

My "big dream" about OER is to continue to improve the OER materials I am currently using and to someday create my own OER materials for my classes.

I am most excited about the remixing. This process is much easier than I thought it would be, and it could be very useful in curating and creating future content.

In the next six months, I want to continue working with the OER materials I am currently using and to use the OERTX repository to find additional resources. I also want to learn more about Creative Commons licensing, and I am hoping to complete the Creative Commons Certificate for Educators program within the next six months as well.

My big dream is that students and faculty both become more aware that it exists and that it is a good thing!

1. What are you most excited about from this series?

I signed up for this series because I didn't know much about OER. This series has been very informative and makes me excited to learn more. 

1. What do you want to do in the next 6 months and who might you engage with?

I would like to find a way to create an OER for Freshman entering college that addresses lack of knowledge in library skills and meet with FYS professors and have them use it in their classes. 

Reynaldo Jasso 11 months, 3 weeks ago

1. My “big dream” about OER is to be able to create online accounting courses using OER.

2. I am most excited about being able to collaborate with others who share the same passion about OER.

3. In the next six months, I would like to complete my online OER certifications through the distance learning department at my college.

Reynaldo Jasso 11 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. My “big dream” about OER is to be able to create online accounting courses using OER.
  2. I am most excited about collaborating with others with the same passion for OER.
  3. In the next six months, I would like to complete my online OER certifications through the distance learning department at my college.

Reynaldo Jasso, Jr.

South Texas College

Jamie Quinn 11 months, 3 weeks ago

My dream about OER is to bring more educational awareness to our university faculty on what OER is, how it's beneficial, resources available to use now, and how faculty can build OER materials themselves with products the library has licensed.

I'm excited to learn more about ways OER is being supported and encouraged across college/university campuses in Texas. It was great to learn about the rubric system for evaluation of resources.

I'd like to work on workshop educational awareness series that bring resources to faculty and may help to spark ideas in creating new OER works.