Fit into your Flow (Webinar One)

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 1 month ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "Reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt: Please share the following after today's webinar:

1. Have you ever licensed your work before and if so, how did you license your work?

2. What new thoughts are you considering about licensing now as you look for or create resources?

3. How can supporting OER at your institution help your existing work?

Kim Jeffrey 1 year, 1 month ago

No, I have never licensed any work, but I want to learn more about this.  I am using an OER and would like to add material to it.  The more I learn about OER's, the more I can help other at my institution to use them for their classes.  

CYNTHIA SANCHEZ 1 year, 1 month ago

Greetings:

I do not have much to contribute because I am fairly new to OER.  No, I have never licensed my work before. I am interested to find out the process.  In reviewing the resources, I discovered my colleague created a resource and will soon discuss this with her.  

There seems to be a OER push at South Texas College.  It has been in the works for approximately 5 years.  I now realize that I need to embrace it, get educated and start implementing it in my courses.  I can support it by educating myself and aim for implementation.

Cynthia G Sanchez

South Texas College

James Ross-Nazzal 1 year, 1 month ago

Hi Cynthia. Do you know if this OER push at South Texas is from above or by faculty? Ours was simultaneous. Our Vice Chancelor of Academic took me and a few other faculty members to a workshop on OER in 2012. 

Nathaly Gal 1 year, 1 month ago

Hello Cynthia,

I am in a similar boat as you - I have not licensed any work before but am curious to learn more. How neat is it that you found a colleague's work!? That makes me want to scout out to see whether I can find resources published by my course instructors.

Nathaly

Ilse Granizo 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey there, 

I applaud you for taking the time to explore OER. Before this training, I was doing alone and it could be overwhelming. Having some guidance will help us see how we can help our students. 

Quentin Bellard 1 year, 1 month ago

I was in the same boat as you Cynthia being that I started working at San Jacinto College back in July and they are a huge OER institution. I had never been involved that heavily in OER especially at my previous institution but it's a very positive initiative for the students. 

Hi Cynthia,

I am exactly where you are as far as being fairly new to OER. Our campus at Lone Star College - Houston North will be going fully OER within 2 years. That is wonderful that this is an option for our students to find college more affordable.

Lots of success in your OER search.

Chris Trevino

Professor of Humanities

Lone Star College - Houston North

Houston, TX

A. P. Anderson 1 year, 1 month ago

1. I have licensed my work before, but only once. In March, I made instructional material (including photos I took myself & graphics I personally drew) for an on-campus event. I listed it in the public domain because I wanted to share it with friends at other libraries and organizations.

2. I'm curious about the BY attribution. Is there any type of CC licensing where the attribution aspect is not required (other than PD, sort of)? Can you specify another type of licensing requirement (ex: NC) without also requiring BY?

3. A big part of what I do as a librarian is connect patrons with the materials they need for their education, and I'm excited that as our campus's use of OER grows, I will be able to not only give people the hookup on academic articles, journals, and books, I'll also be able to help professors get access to open texts and tools to help them in their classes. I love what Victoria said about OER being another form of reference, because this feels like an expansion of what we're able to do as librarians. 

Kenneth Carriveau 1 year, 1 month ago

If I remember correctly, the attribution aspect is automatically included in all CC licenses starting with version 3.0. It wasn't always required in earlier iterations. It is my understanding that new materials must use the current version of the CC license (version 4.0 now?), so the BY attribution typically cannot be avoided from now on if you want to comply with the licensing standards of practice.

Susan Puccio 1 year, 1 month ago

I think Kenneth is right. Why would you not want to state the creator of the work you are using? 

Oh, the question was about me and the resource I created, not about using other people's work without credit. My name is about to change and I didn't want to require credit for it when the name that would be on it at time of creation would be wrong in a few months.

Hi Anderson.

I wonder what is more likely to go uncited or be misused: words or images? I see your instructional material includes images. Is that stuff on the web or is it in a LMS that is not freely available? I would like to remove all images from my textbook and replace them with photos that I take or have taken on vacations (Mt Rushmore, civil war battlefields, etc) but I fear that would be not as interesting as what I have found, especially those newspaper and magazine advertisements from the 1850s to the 1970s.

1. Yes. CC-BY-NC.

2. I will probably keep it the same unless I can figure out SA. To me, SA and NC are six of one, half-a-dozen of the other re complexity and I want my OER to be openly and widely shared. 

3. Well, part of my existing work is student success and retention. Using OER benefits both. Writing OER helps to make the job more interesting for me. Something new. I've published for academic presses, but authoring an OER textbook is a unique thing. Stimulating is different ways, even more so now that I use student content. Brings me closer with my students. Creates a book more inline with students' perspectives, interests, and voices.  

James,

I find it interesting that you have licensed your work and your willingness to widely share your creations.  I can see how this makes your job more engaging.  Kuddos to you!

Cynthia

Thanks Cynthia. We are just trying to make stories interesting enough for the reader to want to dig deeper into the textbook. So, I wanted to open the license in case anyone, for whatever reason, finds a chapter or two usable. I discovered that one university's online college had used a chapter. I wish they would have told me. They did credit me. I fond out about it because I taught a class for them, and there it was! 

1. I have licensed a few learning objects created while enrolled in the Creative Commons for Academic Librarians certification course. Where possible, I opted to use the CC BY license, but I had to be sure I complied with any constraints placed by remixed materials included in my products.
  2. Since the CC licenses represent a spectrum of openness between the tight controls set by the "All Rights Reserved" condition of copyright and the broad permissions enabled by the public domain, I tend to look for good resources at the more open and flexible end of the range first. Good quality will always be an essential factor when selecting materials, however, so accepting the tighter conditions is better than foregoing the use of the materials altogether.
  3. I am the point person within the library for OER support, and I am charged with helping faculty who are interested in exploring affordable textbook options to reduce costs for students. As a result, I am regularly involved in efforts to explore and implement OER materials across campus. I am working with the other librarians to build their skills in this area so they are better equipped to handle such inquiries as well.

Hi Kenneth. Regarding your #3, outside of your library, is there any one else who folks would turn to for OER? In other words, if there is more than one person (you), how do you all work together?

We need a singular point person. A singular database. We have too many cooks in the kitchen. Too many hands in the cookie jar, in my opinion. So I fear our OER holdings are sprinkled about. Libraries have lots. I have some. Other faculty have some. And some OER holdings overlap. 

Hi, James.

Last year, at the behest of my dean, I started a library fellows program to increase faculty awareness of affordable textbook options, including OERs. Several of the members of the inaugural cohort opted to use OER (two adaptation projects and three creation projects), and they were very excited about the work they did during the program. These folks now serve as unofficial campus OER champions. I suspect other faculty contact those folks just as often as they reach out to me. The grassroots network is growing!

Pamela Reed 1 year, 1 month ago

Hello Kenneth. In regards to your #3 response. I think it is great that you can help out other librarians in the area of OER support. 

Kenneth, 

I find it interesting that you have licensed your work. Thank you for brining to light approaches to finding good solid resources.  

Cynthia

Dr. Chris Trevino 1 year, 1 month ago

Chris Trevino

1. No, I have not licensed anything before. This is my first introduction with OER.

2. I don't mind sharing my resources but now I know that there are some designations I can apply, so it is not sold or published without my consent. I feel better about sharing my resources.

3. At Lone Star College, our plan is to go strictly OER by the next two years. I think it will benefit my students because it will not cost them anything, and I can apply some refreshing new ideas. 

Shannon Stoker 1 year, 1 month ago

Hi Chris,

We have a similar strategic plan at Tarleton to have OER utilized by a significant number of our courses. As an Instructional Designer, I feel it is important for me to be able to assist faculty with obtaining OER materials and apply them to their courses. As an adjunct, I have seen first hand how students often struggle to afford course materials.

I too Chris hope to share my resources with all parties involved in OER. I just wish this was a plan that was inacted when I was in undergrad and graduate school for that matter. Good luck with going full OER at Lone Star College! It has proved to be very beneficial here at San Jacinto College. 

Molly Caldera 1 year, 1 month ago

Joanna: Thanks for leading our first session today. It was great to hear from people at varying institutions regarding their stresses, concerns, and experiences with OER. 

1. As an LXD, I think I am coming at this question from a slightly different angle than others. Though, I am sure my team of LXDs will agree with me on a few things. I have helped faculty create content and assignments that they discussed adding to the Creative Commons or to Canvas Commons. I always recommend that they add a CC BY NC SA license. This would allow them to receive credit for the work they put in, while also continuing the tradition of OER with a share-alike to ensure it stays open to others. 
  2. A few years ago I got excited about reusable assignments (I think this is the correct term, but I always get it wrong). This is the concept of creating assignments that allow students to be the content creators that contribute to the body of OER knowledge. For me, this hits all the right spots for a good assignment: creates student motivation, engages, gives students choices, and increases the diversity of knowledge and how it is presented (which addresses multiple formats for accessibility). 
  3. Instructional Designers like to be resourceful. We like to have solutions for faculty during consultations and I think all of my ID or LXD colleagues in this course would agree that if we are not better informed on OERs, we are not as resourceful as we can be, and are missing opportunities for a more universally-designed course. 

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's responses to these prompts. These are great questions! 

-Molly

Hi Molly,

As an ID, I completely agree with you about being resourceful and having solutions for faculty. Part of my reason for participating in this platform is to acquire more knowledge to better assist my faculty as we move forward with our strategic plan of utilizing OERs in 90% of our courses. 

I agree. My desire is to provide resources for faculty and students. Therefore, I want to be a vehicle to assist. 90% is amazing. 

I too like to incorporate student content into the process of writing my US history OER textbook. They enjoy the heck out it, both the doing of the thing as well as reading the words of fellow (past) students. THey get to focus on what interests them part of the time ad the other part of the time (when I assign them a topic) they get to tackle it through their eyes, voices, or experiences.  

Pamela Reed 1 year, 1 month ago

No, I have never licensed my work. I think it is interesting to see how much others have made available for everyone to use. I hope to be able to direct other at my institution to resource available to them.

Jorge Mendoza 1 year, 1 month ago
  1. I have not licensed any of my previous work I have created. 

2. I think that licensing is good, depending on the creator, sometimes all you have to do is give credit. I think my licensing would depend on the type of work I create. 

3. Supporting OER is a big part of what I do as an Instructional Designer. This is one of the main reasons why I'm glad to be a part of this OER Group. 

Qingwen Hu 1 year, 1 month ago

1. I shared once my work on an institutional Canvas under the license CC BY-NC. It was supported by a tiny external funding which was still sufficient to encourage me to do the work.

2. Creating quality OER resources needs great time and energy from faculty.  My recent proposal for creating OER sent to a major funding agency got feedback like:  "this is the duty of faculty; this is not research. "  The comments somehow reflected the current reality that work on OER is not widely recognized yet. It is usually dependent on individual voluntary work without much support.

3. OER will provide alternative resources for student learning, especially when many students do not want to buy textbooks and prefer browsing on the Internet. I have included OER work for reference in my course syllabi in recent years.

Greg Ramzinski 1 year, 1 month ago

1. No, I have never licensed any material I have produced.  Until I began working with OER material in the past year, I was not aware of various types of licenses.  

2. I believe I will work on some material that I would like to license.  I will probably begin my modifying current OER material then move toward developing my own for public use.

3. As our campus moves toward more utilization of OER material, it will help other institutions move in that direction as well.  This greater access to more material will provide a broader base of materials with current information in the various fields.

Molly Caldera 1 year ago

Hi Greg, 

When I began searching for OERs on the web, a lot of the lists were compiled by higher ed institutions. I hope your campus will create a list for faculty and beyond as you embrace utilization of OERs. 

1. I have licensed some courses I developed in Canvas as CC BY SA. Canvas can add a CC license to courses, making it very easy to apply. That is the only work I have with a license.

2. I am working on creating a portfolio and I will definitely apply CC BY at the very list. Since becoming more aware of CC licensing, I make more of an effort to look for the license applied to the work. 

3. With our institution's strategic plan to have a significant number of courses utilizing OER by 2025, I will need to be more versed in finding materials and supporting faculty with integrating OER in their courses. 

Hi Shannon.

I have never licensed a course. I've created two master courses for the college but never licensed them. I guess that's different than your own course because I did so for the college. Anyhow, are you able to follow how many times the course is used or who uses the course?

Hello Shannon,

I'm glad that you mention the ability to add a CC license to Canvas courses - this is something I noticed long ago and never understood. After completing our first webinar, I now see the value in adding a CC license to a course (in the past I would simply make them public only to my institution, but now we can open the resources to a much wider audience).

-Nathaly

hey there, 

I did not know you could license your courses or materials on Cnava. That is a really cool tip.

Yes, I have licensed my work. My OER US history textbook. At first, I was asked to make it as wide open as possible so I followed the herd and gave it CC-BY. And then a year or so later I found someone selling my textbook on Amazon. So, I added CC-BY-NC.

Now, for anything new I create I will add the "NC" caveat. I do not see how "NC" restricts the distribution of our work across the curriculum. NC just stops folks from selling our work. It is "Open ER" not 'For Sale ER."

Well, I have found out that creating and using OER has brought me closer to my students. To their needs, their interests, and their voices once we started working together to add student content to the textbook.

Susan Puccio 1 year, 1 month ago
  1. Yes. Last summer, June - August 2022, I took CC Certificate for Librarians. I’m a work for hire so I do not own the copyright on work I do at work. My licenses would start out like “If I had ownership over Lesson XX, I would license it: CC BY-SA 4.0. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/”

2. I still like to look for licenses that are CC BY or CC BY-NC so the faculty can modify the textbooks and ancillary materials to suit their curriculum. 

3. By supporting OER I support the faculty members.

Yue Ma 1 year, 1 month ago

1. Have you ever licensed your work before and if so, how did you license your work?

Yes, I have licensed my work before. In my previous institution and at Baylor, we use Canvas as the learning management system, and Canvas has a feature called Canvas Commons where educators can share resources. I have shared some of my resources on Canvas Commons, and I usually choose the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC) license unless it is a collaborative project and the co-author prefers a different license option. 

2. What new thoughts are you considering about licensing now as you look for or create resources?

After receiving training on different licensing options, I am more mindful of checking the licenses of resources before adopting them. I plan to continue using the CC BY-NC license for my work.

3. How can supporting OER at your institution help your existing work?

As a learning experience designer at Baylor, my role is similar to that of an instructional designer, and we work closely with faculty to develop courses. Access to OER content can inspire us and provide ideas to enhance our work, resulting in a better learning experience for students. By supporting OER at my institution, it will foster a culture of sharing and collaboration among educators, which can foster creativity and innovation in course design and development.

Chad Clark 1 year, 1 month ago

Good morning.  I have never licensed any work before, but if I do, then I will have to develop my understanding of the various Creative Commons licenses.  I would probably use the CC-BY license exclusively (or almost exclusively).  Since there is widespread support for using and creating OER at my institution (San Jacinto College), supporting this initiative as a librarian should allow me more opportunities to collaborate with faculty.

Hi there, 

I do not have much to say as I am new to OER. I have never licensed my work before. I now know that LSC-Cyfair is a great resource to circle back to. 

LSC-Houston North really wants to help our student population by cutting the costs of textbooks, so I am here to embrace the journey and help where I can. I plan on having two of my courses fully OER in the fall. 

Jasmin Gray El 1 year, 1 month ago

Salutations!

I have never llicensed work before my thoughts are to consider licensing as a content creator as well as to inform those who do not know. So I would like to learn how to license ones work as it can support support OER at my institution as well as faculty that want to license but do not know how.

I have not licensed any of my work before but would like to in the future. 

After seeing all the different types of licensing I would look at all of them and determine where my work would align best. Sharing my resources would definitely occur but would not want it distributed without my permission. 

Having that knowledge of how OER is implemented at my institution will put me in the best position to create my own work. 

Teresa Bussell 1 year, 1 month ago

Good day,

My name is Dr. Teresa Bussell. I have never licensed my own work, but I am working on lots of ideas and would love to share once I decide on licensing.

I love the idea of creating my own curriculum, specifically, I have been writing a science series. I would like to learn more about sharing this for new teachers who are planning for their own courses.

I am an Instructional Designer so this would be a great help working on course development.

Kristen Cook 1 year, 1 month ago

1. I have never licensed my work before, but have been interested in doing so. I created an information literacy guide based on the ACRL framework, with a colleague, based on the perspective that research skills are superpowers. I would be interested in the options for licensing the content with CC-BY-NC.

2. I believe that using CC is a better way of entering into a scholarly conversation and showing my intentionality to share and to keep a resource updated.

3. I am part of an OER cohort that is working to promote the discovery, creation, and adoption of OER on our campus to address textbook affordability while maintaining quality course materials. I hope to equip my team of librarians to evalute and promote OER resources to their subject liaison areas.

No, I have never licensed my work before, nor even considered it. This webinar may be the very thing to boost my confidence level. 

2. What new thoughts are you considering about licensing now as you look for or create resources?

What I am most concerned about is licensing incorrectly. As I look for resources, I always keep accessibility in mind. It's important that digital resources be fully accessible. 

3. How can supporting OER at your institution help your existing work?

I would like to promote OER at my institution during my course design conversations with faculty. As we develop or re-develop a course, I'd like to bring OER to the conversation along with areas to start, so a faculty may consider and explore the option further. 

Patricia Sotelo 1 year, 1 month ago

No, I have not licensed work before.  There is currently a push at South Texas College to create more material for OER and as a librarian, it is part of our job to be available to help.  So, I need to learn as much as I can to help the faculty to do this.

Samuel Solis 1 year, 1 month ago

Hello, I have not licensed OER work. My goal is to find OERs for my courses and maybe create some. I can support by learning more about OER and using them. 

Samuel Solis

Jamie Quinn 1 year, 1 month ago

1. I have not licensed my work before, but I have served as an advocate for others to license their work and to be mindful when signing journal publishing contracts. I'm familiar with creative commons licensing, at least the earlier versions, and am excited to get up-to-speed on how CC licensing is creating momentum in the Open Educational Resources area.

2. I am looking for nursing and allied health resources that can help support curriculum needs and will be mindful of the type of license listed to know if it can be re-used, remixed, transformed, etc.

3. Supporting OER at my institution helps make textbook materials more accessible for students and helps support positive inclusion of topics, populations, and University initiatives that may be underrepresented in traditional publishing.

Maria Teresa Torres 1 year, 1 month ago

I have licensed most of my outward-facing work as CC-BY, and have asked my fellow librarians to do add a CC license as well. Because my work and my colleagues work are very academic library-focused, it is unlikely someone could use it outside of academia, but I have been considering adding NC to the license. As the OER Librarian at UTEP, my main focus is fostering a greater adoption of OER on campus.

Kaarin Perkins 1 year, 1 month ago

I have not licensed my work. I am interested to better understand licensing to determine the benefits. Supporting OER helps our students who are financially challenged to secure textbooks

Kim Jeffrey 1 year, 1 month ago

After searching OERTX again, for this class, I have found some different resources and hope that there continue to be new resources in the future. 

Mignette Dorsey 1 year, 1 month ago

1. I have never licensed my work but really enjoy learning how to do it.

2. My main concern now is whether or not I will be able to find the OERs I need to build my courses because repositories are not infinite.

3. My discipline's administrators have decided to move toward 100% OERs within a few years or so. Therefore, supporting OERs is more important now than ever before since we will be required to locate and utilize them.

Privet everyone!

I have never licensed my own work, but I have helped one of my old bosses' apply for copyrights (and request usage of medical images) for his testing assistance videos (not OER as it was for profit, but the experience was valuable to know the processes).  

License and copyright has been an important thing to keep in mind with what I do daily - with the distributing and access of materials like databases and with my creation of materials for instruction (as I try to use as much OER as I personally can).  

The use of OER would be helpful as an instructor as it enables me to use the overall hive mind in a particular subject area to provide a better overall educating experience.  As a librarian, it would be useful since it would create positive connections with faculty to get an understanding of what they are teaching, what their research interests are, and enabl me to assist them in creating something that can continuously evolve along with the new ideas and topics that are relevant today.  

I hope that makes sense!

1. Yes, I have licensed some of my work: CC-BY-NC. I like that this session provider a refresher for me.

2. I am thinking to keep it the same as I started putting it on amazon last year. 

3. I am interested in helping to provide more resources for my INRW and English students. 

Mary Sides 1 year ago

I have not licensed any of my work before. I would like to learn more about the various licenses. I am looking for resources that can be modified as I like to be able to customize the materials to my various courses. Supporting OER at my institution helps my existing work by learning more about the process of creating and licensing OER for my courses. I can also help others learn about using OERs for their classes.

I have never licensed my work, as I am still in the process of creating the material. I think I really want to be able to help as many people as possible and if my work can help them teach students in a new light than I am all for it. The support of OER is to drive down cost for students and for our local ISDs. The more we can remove barriers of education like the cost of materials the better we can serve in the success of our students. 

Cici Clanton 1 year ago

I have not licensed my own work before. I would like to put my own work out into the world with licensing. But with some limitations, that others do not profit from it.

My existing work revolves around developing programs that are affordable and accessible to adult learners. Supporting OER at my institution will help increase its integration into courses. And in turn reduce cost to students.

Hi Everyone.

1. No, I have never given anybody permission to use my work.
2. I have no firm opinions at this time since I am currently studying licensure.

3. When the textbooks don't adequately cover a topic, I know that our department may benefit from having access to supplementary materials.

~ Scholastica

Honestly I have never licensed my work.  As far as new thoughts on licensing, a lot of the conversation is very new to me, that's why I am here I'd like to incorporate OER into my course content.

I have published most of my work in WoS journals under the (full) copyright license (c). As I gain more culture about open resources I would like to publish some of my work on Math teaching and research using one of the Creative Commons (cc) or Public Domain (pd) licenses to make it available to my colleagues, create stronger collaborative networks, and make the offered classes more accessible and engaging for all students. 

Debbie Davis 1 year ago

Hello eveyrone!

I have not licensed my work before, but am interested in doing so before.

I appreciated learning about the different types of licensing options before I propose a new book for our OER grant application process.

Mark Farris 1 year ago

I have never licensed my own work before unless you take posting videos and things to a website like Youtube, and then I have licensed work, but I did not use a CC license for those works.

I like the flexibility of the Creative Commons licenses. I would be comfortable licensing my work in a way that only requires them to provide credit. 

I think supporting OER work at the community college is especially crucial, because we have several students that have very tight budgets and are needing to save their finances wherever they can.

Greetings:

I am new to OER. Consequently, I have yet to create any OER-related works. In relation to licensing, I would like to use open licenses like Creative Commons to have flexibility in how I would like to share my work. I currently do not have any existing OER work.

I have never licensed any of my work. My thoughts on licensing are that I really need to dig into it more and understand it so I can answer questions on the fly and how I should probably use some of the licensing for things that I create going forward. I think just learning more about OER and discussing it with faculty and encouraging them to use it for all of part of their course.

Susan Elwood 1 year ago

I have licensed a few, select things years ago via CC. 

The training on the licensing considerations was greatly appreciated. 

I've noticed our department take more interest in finding OER materials for courses, as well as generate materials. Supporting OER helps everyone by building the respositories, as well as support current collaborative efforts. 

1. No

2. Creating OER for the Agricultural Department at Clarendon College

3. More cost effective for students

Xiaoying Li 1 year ago

Never licensed my work before. I am using OER 

1. What new thoughts are you considering about licensing now as you look for or create resources?

Complicated. I create resources for my courses and don't mind to share. But, the big part of teaching business is to include the material from currrent trends. So, I don't want to be credited for obsolete material that others chose to adopt.     

Reynaldo Jasso 11 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. No, I have never licensed my work before.
  2. Since I have not licensed my work, I plan to seek advice from my college’s OER staff on licensing my work.
  3. Supporting OER at my institution will help my existing work by gaining resources that will help educate me on the benefits of OER.

Reynaldo Jasso, Jr.

South Texas College