Resource for the Resource Template (Dr. Roshanak Jafari & Dr. Fariba Ansari)
Image credit: Michigan State University (MSU) Libraries OER Program Guide is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This template is for use by participants in the Resource for the Resource series to help identify and share ideas for OER implementation at their Instutitution.
Planning on OER Adoption
OER Use at (__insert your Institution here__)
Use the following four categories to craft a plan for increasing the use and collaboration of OER at your institution.
Engagement - presentations, activities (list 2-3 possible activities you might lead and a possible timeframe)
(EXAMPLE) OER textbook sharing feedback event - 6 weeks after the start of the semester, we will send a survey to any staff using an OER textbook to ask for their feedback on the use of their OER textbook
Awareness - Open Education Week activities, panels, events (list 2-3 possible activities you might lead and a possible timeframe)
(EXAMPLE) OER and open licensing email - 4 weeks after the start of the semester, we will send out an email to department chairs sharing OER and open licensing best practices and ask for faculty to put an open license on their syllabus and share it with us
Capacity building - grants, partnerships, collaboration between faculty and students, new projects and initiatives (list 2-3 possible activities you might lead and a possible timeframe)
(EXAMPLE) Faculty OER syllabus sharing - 9 weeks after the start of the semester, identified departments will host a syllabus sharing event via a shared drive
Recognition - students recognize and award faculty that are using OER, faculty recognized at events, showcase impact and value add of OER (list 2-3 possible activities you might lead and a possible timeframe)
(EXAMPLE) Revision of Student Surveys - work with departments to revise student surveys to include questions about textbook cost, textbook use and textbook effectiveness
Planning on OER Adoption at El Paso Community College (EPCC) By Dr. Roshanak Jafari & Dr. Fariba Ansari
Planning on OER Adoption
at El Paso Community College (EPCC)
Dr. Roshanak Jafari & Dr. Fariba Ansari
Based on the participation at The OERTX "Resource for the Resource Retreat 2022" training, which took place in September 2022, we devised the following plan.
- Delivering a workshop introducing the OER and its importance in higher education during the faculty professional development week, which takes place a week before starting each semester.
- Sending a survey examining the OER's familiarity and use a few weeks after the semester started.
- Asking the new student to fill out a simple survey about their familiarity with OER during the orientations.
- Efforts through the meetings to unify the librarians' usage of OER in all five EPCC campuses libraries since some already do it and some do not.
- Using the Tejano Newsletter (internal college newsletter) to post news about OER and faculty efforts of developing OER and publish the students' stories and experiences on using OER.
- Sharing the OER benefits with the administrative, coordinators, deans, etc., and asking them to help spread the information to the other faculty.
- Distributing the flyers and pamphlets to the different campuses and college events.
- Finding and gathering a group of interested, advocate faculty, librarians, students, and administrative and applying for a grant concentrating on promoting OER on our campus and collecting the data and evidence of its pros and cons.
- Promoting OER by presenting the results of the pilot study of the grant to the college administration.
- Creating a new title or chapter for the Tejano Newsletter, a program, or an award as “OER Advocates” to acknowledge and recognize the faculty who used the OER, the students who contributed to OER, and the librarian who helped to establish OER.