Next Steps

by Megan Simmons 2 years ago

Please describe your next steps for your OER Project and share any ideas you have for advancing OER in your work by replying below.

Be sure to publish your OER Project and save it to our Group Resources by May 31.

Susan de Ghize 2 years ago

I'm almost done working on the text, but the musical recordings and videos will be the most time-consuming part. My goal before May 31 is to complete a section with sound to see what the final project might look like. :) Maybe I'll like it better than Pressbooks...

Dr. Regina Cannon 1 year, 11 months ago

I have started my research on materials and prepared a tentative outline for the course. I am still a little confused on some things but I am working through the process. I plan to have my course ready for review by May 31st. 

Draft outline: Leadership 

Module I: What is Leadership?

• The Character and Importance of Leadership 
    • Definition of Leadership
    • Leadership in the lens of
      • Corporate America
      • Higher Education 
    • Roles of Leadership 
    • Advantage and Disadvantages of Leadership
    • Understanding Leadership Framework
      • Skill Development
  • Self-Assessment of Leadership Ability
  • Module Unit Case Study

Module II: Characteristics of Leaders

• Personality Traits
    • General  Personality Traits
    • Task-Related Personality Traits
  • Motives of a Leader
    • Power
    • Drive and Achievement
    • Tenacity & Resilience
  • Leadership Factors
    • Cognitive
    • Knowledge of the Business
    • Insight into People and Situation
    • Conceptual Thinking
  • Self-Assessment –
  • Module Unit Case Study

Module III: Charismatic Leadership

Module IV: Behaviors, Attitudes, and Styles of Leadership

Wendi J. W. Williams, PhD 1 year, 11 months ago

I have been essentially doing OER within our institution's CMS (now Blackboard Ultra) but am striving to bring into a space such as TXOER to share more broadly with colleagues locally, state-wide, and nationally.  Leveraging other geological sciences OER and other curricular content shared through Creative Commons licenses, craft a lab experience that brings more of a local context (some examples from far South Texas).

Kelly Vinson 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm currently working on a few things for the final OER project. I published a remix of a discussion board rubric. I am also working on a syllabus and set of discussion questions (remix + my own questions) as my final project. My goal was to import OER into my social problems class. So far I have adopted a textbook and am working on adding these discussion questions too. 

I am a little bit confused about contributing to the group. I believe my submission was accepted, but i'm concerned because I'm still unsure if I am remixing correctly and giving the correct person credit? I hope we can talk about that tomorrow!

I am linking my documents below (I think?)

https://oertx.highered.texas.gov/editor/documents/109

https://oertx.highered.texas.gov/editor/documents/110

https://oertx.highered.texas.gov/courseware/lesson/3278/overview 

Olin Bjork 1 year, 11 months ago

I modified a chapter from the OER book Introduction to Design Equity as the first chapter of a new OER book tentatively titled Technical Communication and Social Justice: A Primer.  I started out on PressBooks, because that is the platform used by the source material, but after realizing it would cost me $20 to publish, I switched to Open Author.  The main change that I made is the three study questions at the end, two of which are new and one of which is derived from the last paragraph of the source chapter.  The next steps I am considering include the following:

1. Figure out how to make pull quotes in Open Author
  2. Add images
  3. Add assignment ideas
  4. Recontextualize the chapter from Minnesota to Houston, where I am located, or at least add a Houston-based example.
  5. Create additional chapters on topics such as Technology Equity, Language Equity, Visualizing Climate Science, and Workplace Diversity and Inclusion.
Jennifer Epley Sanders 1 year, 11 months ago

I originally wanted to curate a bunch of political science resources for POLS 2305, but changed gears and instead started experimenting with creating a short/small resource - "Core Political Science Questions" - since I could not locate sufficient resources in time related to "basic" approaches to teach undergraduate students. 

It was really interesting learning more about the OER TX Repository system, its vocabulary or jargon, and various tools. I do think there is a steep learning curve with a fast turnaround time requested even for those of us who have been using and creating OER for a while, especially given our full teaching loads, service obligations, and research agendas plus pandemic politics. I am wondering if the timing for such professional development workshops could be moved to the summer for one or more cohorts in the future for better outcomes in terms of quality, effectiveness, and efficiencies? I was excited to talk with peers and colleagues in the last breakout room, for instance, but we ran out of time (!).

Scarlet Estlack 1 year, 11 months ago

I have published my Moss Life Cycle lab, but am pending approval. Liz told me it is likely because of the video I included from YouTube.

I will wait for feedback on what needs to be changed.

If this lab is approved for publishing, I will most likely work on the ferns, then gymnospermsn, then angiosperms.

My ultimate goal would be to get enough lab exercises built to create a lab manual for botany.

George Swindell 1 year, 11 months ago

My OER project is to add more videos "mini-lessons" to enhance my course.  I have started with just a few and will slowly be working on adding more over the summer.  I received some great feedback today and look forward to making these revisions and edits moving forward.

I would like to eventually build up to authoring/remixing all of the OER content in my courses, but this will be a larger project. 

I am working with others on our campus to expand the use of OER on our campus and would love to see our campus be at a point where all core curriculum uses OER as a major milestone.  I know this is aspirational, but it's a goal.

Rosemond Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

My next steps are the following:

1. Add additional content to the OERTX repository
  2. Submit links for inclusion in the repository from a general list that I have been collecting over the semester
  3. Complete the draft documents that I started (Course Template and Module Template)
  4. Continue to locate and curate content that is more specific to Business Statistics
Rosemond Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

I have completed 1 of the 4 Proposed Visual Module Templates.  Once I receive feedback, I will prepare the remaining three Module Templates.

The recommended changes from the Peer Feedback session during the academy were incorporated.  Colors, graphics, etc. changed to improve accessibility.