Reflection: Next Step

by June Levitt 2 years, 5 months ago

I have developed three OER textbooks since 2020.  They are available at both OERTX and OER COMMONS libraries. My next step is to continue developing those for other subjects and refining the books I have already published. 

Also, I want to learn more about OER grant programs for non-core curriculum courses supported by state or private agencies. Although my university and others promote OER use and its creation, the support does not include the effort into work units. I hope to have the mechanism for OER textbook-developing faculty members to apply that effort into the work unit.  Or the grant to help us buy out our work units.  I am happy to have developed the OER books using my weekend and "after 5:00" hours.  However, I would like to do it under the system to ensure balanced work hours while serving the OER development.  I understand the high impact of OER materials in core curriculum subjects. If associate degrees are not the ultimate goal, we need to think beyond the core curriculum subjects.  To continue the high impact, we need to have OER use in the upper-level courses and graduate programs for students to complete their higher education.  In addition to the development of OER, my next step includes quantifying the effects of OER to convince universities and funding agencies to expand the grant programs to my field. 

Daniel Flores 2 years, 3 months ago

June,

You made many great points. What resonated with me the most is the need to use OERs in upper-level and graduate programs. On occasion, I have taught intensive graduate courses where my students would have benefited from the use of OERs much more than books that they could not possibly read completely in less than one month. This is an expense that is sure to hurt these struggling students. 

Dan

June Levitt 2 years, 3 months ago

Dan:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I agree with you. 

June