Samples of Consent Forms for Using Student Authored Work

by Carrie Gits 2 years, 9 months ago

Hi All!

It was great to join you for your 3rd webinar today. During the session the chat had a great conversation about getting students' permission to use their work in the open, or in this case in an OER. I am sharing a few examples of consent forms and resources that I am aware of related to using student authored work.  I hope you find them useful:

Marilyn Ibey 2 years, 9 months ago

I think having students share their "voice" through their work is a great way to promote OER resource use. I really like the OER written consent form 1. It's short and to the point and gives the student author several options with respect to his/her work that will be submitted to OER.

Sharla Jones 2 years, 9 months ago

This is great!  I could really use a form like this.  I have a lot of good stories some of my students have written that I would like to use.

Mandy Palmer 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for sharing these consent form examples, Carrie!  These are very helpful.  

I prefer this "asking for permission" approach.  I have seen (and been subject to) some instances where information is gathered from participants and the approach is somewhat backward in that they are automatically opted-in to the information sharing and must choose to opt-out if they do not want their information used.  (We've all seen this before with user agreements, etc.) 

This is a fairly generic version of the phrasing I've seen put into use (like in a syllabus or another similar document):

Dear Student,

In the spirit of developing and maintaining OER resources for this and future classes, YKK Zipper group and/or your instructor will will be using content created and/or submitted by students in this class to develop course content for this and/or future classes.
Examples of course submissions and/or content may include:
• Essay submissions
• Synchronous and asynchronous class sessions
• Discussion board and/or lecture responses
• Survey and/or Quiz responses or feedback
• Instructor feedback and exchanges
Your work may be shared with members of this class with your name included; for example, your work may be shared as an example for the class. Your instructor will remove your name and any other identifiable information from any submissions or examples used outside of this class. Your work and responses will remain confidential and will not be shared with anyone outside of this class.  If something you say or do is used in a report, it will be anonymous, and not associated with you or your name.

If you do not wish for your work or comments from the online course management system or
the classroom observation to be included in the development of content, please contact your instructor at YKK Zipper group email address and they will not gather your work.

If you have any questions, please contact your instructor. Thank you for helping to further OER development!

I honestly don't know how I feel about this passive kind of "requiring students to opt-out" rather than having them opt-in.  In theory, it would certainly make it easier to use content generated in a class if I had a blanket statement like this in my syllabus.  But I haven't felt like I can do it like this and I'm glad to see some other ways of approaching this issue.